OpenSIP or Open SIP Server is an open-source SIP proxy/server used for text, voice, video, presence, and various other SIP extensions. The software implementation of the technology to commence the communication session over the Internet or any other type of data network. The SIP trunking service allows businesses to carry out their voice and data traffic on a single private IP Virtual Private Network (VPN). This way, it helps to reduce the overall bandwidth and line rental costs to a great extent while simplifying the entire maintenance process. Moreover, the OpenSIPS development services can be used in geographically distributed VoIP platforms.
OpenSIPS are designed to manage a massive volume of traffic, making them a perfect solution to serve thousands of calls. These can run on embedded systems with limited resources and can handle more than 5000 calls per second. OpenSIPS can serve more than 3 00 000 online subscribers on a system with 4GB memory. As far as the scalability factor is concerned, OpenSIPS can be scaled easily by adding more OpenSIPS servers.
Previously known as OpenSER, OpenSIPS is a multi-purpose signaling SIP server with various functionalities. It can be used as:
- Application Server
- SIP Router or Switch
- IM Server
- SIP Registrar
- Redirect Server
- Load Balancer/Dispatcher
- Back-to-Back User Agent
- Presence Server
- Session Border Controller
- SIP Front-End
- NAT traversal Server
- IP Gateway (SMS, XMPP), etc.
Features of OpenSIPS Software Development
Some of the key features of OpenSIPS software development include:
- Robust and highly functional server: Comprises robust and performance-oriented SIP Registrar server, Location server, Proxy server, and Redirect server
- Plug and play module interface: OpenSIPS can add new extensions without disturbing the core, thereby assures excellent stability of core components.
- IP Blacklists: OpenSIPS allow users to block calls from a particular IP by simply blacklisting them as per their requirements. This feature helps protect users from any VoIP fraud and eliminates the chances of abuse on the publicly accessible PBX.
- SIP Security Interface: Security is one of the key concerns of SIP providers. There are a number of risks associated with OpenSIPS development. Some of the key risks include Denial of Service (DOS), toll fraud, and privacy breaches. All these risks can be significantly reduced by configuring the firewall between OpenSIPS and the internet.
- Offers SMS Confirmation Gateway: OpenSIPS facilitates SMS confirmation gateway to the SIP users and Vice-versa. It allows flawless communication between SIP and GSM networks.
- Dialogue Support: The dialogue module feature facilitates dialogue awareness to the OpenSIPS proxy. The key role of dialogue support is to keep track of the existing dialogues and provide information about them. It usually includes call monitoring, call termination from the proxy side, and call profiling.
Apart from the features as mentioned above, the other features of OpenSIPS include:
- Facilitate Stateless and transactional SIP Proxy processing
- Provide support for UDP/TCP/TLS/SCTP transport layers
- Multi-homed and multi-domain support
- Offers support for SRV and NAPTR DNS
- Assures authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA) through the database, Radius, and Diameter
- Facilitate management interface via FIFO file and UNIX sockets
- Supports CPL (Call Processing Language)
- Provide load balancing with failover
- Offers least cost routing
- IPv4 and IPv6
- SRV DNS failover
- Comprises modular architecture
- Provide NAT traversal support for SIP and RTP traffic
- Offers ENUM support
- Allow variables support in script, including script variables, AVPs, and pseudo-variables
- Provide Presence Agent support
- Offers multiple database backends including MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Berkeley, and various other database types
- Facilitate straightforward interconnection with PSTN gateways
- Provide PERL Programming Interface, etc.
Businesses looking forward to delivering the OpenSIPS development services to their clients must hire OpenSIPS developers who are professional and skilled in offering superior quality solutions for OpenSIPS installation, customizations, and other customizations of OpenSIPS services as required by the businesses.
Skills of OpenSIPS Developers
Some of the key skills of OpenSIPS developers include:
- Proficiency in develop OpenSIPS as SIP Proxy
- Ability to develop OpenSIPS and RTP Engine as Session Border Controller
- Expertise in developing OpenSIPS and RTP Engine as WebRTC to SIP Gateway
- Capable of developing OpenSIPS and RTP Engine as Class4 Softswitch
- Excellent Knowledge of SIP/SDP/RTP protocols
- Better Know-how of WSS/DTLS-SRTP
By hiring the right talent with the correct skillset, businesses can achieve their desired goals of delivering OpenSIPS services. Today, a number of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service providers use OpenSIPS to develop various solutions such as enterprise PBX solutions, Class 4 and Class 5 Softswitch solutions, Call Center solutions, IMS Platforms, SBCs, and various other solutions.
To conclude, OpenSIPS plays an essential role in establishing and retaining an excellent and highly functional business communication network. Whether it’s about managing a huge volume of simultaneous calls, creating feature-rich applications for routing logics, OpenSIPS can seamlessly manage any SIP service. Moreover, OpenSIPS development services can be customized as per the specific requirements of the businesses, including telecommunications enterprises, mobile network operators, and telecom companies.