There are many ways to approach product photography and each approach offers some distinct advantages. Lifestyle photographyis an aspect of product photography that showcases an item in real-life situations. It is one of the more complicated and time-consuming approaches, which is why this form of photography is slightly more expensive than that placing the product against blank backgrounds. Here’s an in-depth look at lifestyle product photography and how it can help you:
What is Lifestyle Photography?
As mentioned before, it is an aspect of product photography where the expert places the item in real-life situations to highlight its purpose. For example, if you’re selling a bicycle, you’ll want to show a model riding that product on a scenic road. Such an image will highlight the purpose of the product and evoke a desire to purchase. A prospective customer may see the image and want to ride a bicycle through a scenic route as well.
That’s the power of lifestyle photography because it makes the product relatable. Prospective customers place themselves in the model’s shoes and see themselves use the product. Other approaches to product photography can’t showcase this.
What is its purpose?
The purpose of lifestyle photography is to demonstrate utility and showcase value. This characteristic is particularly effective if the product is vague and difficult to describe in text. For example, if you’re selling a perfume that’s supposed to have a refreshing marine or sea-like smell, it will be beneficial to show a model using that perfume while on a beach. Such a composition will make a prospective customer feel a beach-like vibe and give them a fair idea of what that fragrance would smell like.
Lifestyle photography can also help emphasize a product’s special characteristics in a way that no other type of photography can accomplish. For example, if a business sells plus-sized clothing and accessories, plus-size models can really highlight the product’s purpose and draw the right audience. Without models, the company won’t be able to showcase its products accurately.
Why is lifestyle photography more expensive than other styles?
Lifestyle photography is more expensive because there are many elements involved. The photographer will need to hire the right model, pick the best location for the shoot, get the right props, and set up a complex background. They will need to make sure the product still remains the hero of the picture and draws the customer’s complete attention. Editing lifestyle images is also a little more time-consuming and challenging, which only adds to the photographer’s labor.
There are ways to cut down on the cost of lifestyle product photography. Discuss the project with your chosen studio to understand more and come up with an affordable approach. Some businesses skip lifestyle shots entirely because they don’t consider them beneficial for their business.
What’s included in lifestyle photography?
Lifestyle photography has several elements that make it a unique approach. You can discuss how the process works in detail with the expert to know more. Here’s a list of things it usually includes so you can make informed decisions regarding it:
- Models to demonstrate the utility of the product.
- Outdoor locations for products that are typically used outdoors.
- A good lighting setup to ensure the product is highlight properly.
- Several props, some custom-made for the product.
- Using the right angles to keep attention focused on the item.
- Using the right lenses and techniques like focus stacking to create sharp, detailed images.
- Comprehensive editing to clean up the background noise and highlight the foreground.
A photography project may not necessarily include all of the factors mentioned above, but it will include some. For example, it is possible to create stunning lifestyle product images without using a model or shooting indoors. Everything depends on your product and what kind of message you want to convey.
Do you need lifestyle photography?
Some brands can benefit from this approach while others don’t need it. It can be difficult to decide what is right for you. An experienced and reliable photographer will provide straightforward advice on the matter but it is a good idea to ask yourself the questioned mentioned below:
- Who is your target audience?
- Will your product benefit from lifestyle photography?
- What is your brand messaging?
- Do you need models?
- Will your product look better in an outdoor environment?
- Is your product too large for an indoor environment?
- Is the product too small? Small products are often overshadowed by models and outdoor locations.
The answers to these can help determine whether lifestyle photography is the right approach for you.
How to choose the right lifestyle photography expert?
If you want to get the best results from lifestyle photography, you need to hire a good professional for the job. Here are some tips that can help:
- Experience – Make sure the photographer has some experience with this style. Lifestyle photography requires skill, attention to detail, and focus. The expert should know how to keep track of all of the different elements to ensure nothing overshadows the product. Ask the studio if they have worked with this approach in the past before hiring them.
- Portfolio – Look at the portfolio to see if they have any lifestyle photography samples. Most studios make it a point to include a diverse selection of images in their portfolio. If there are nosuch pictures, ask for a sample directly. If the studio can’t provide samples, you may need to look elsewhere.
- Past Clients – Ask the studio to provide references and speak with past clients, especially if you need lifestyle images for a large number of products. Such a project can be a big investment and you need to make sure the photographer can deliver. Speaking with past clients will help you determine whether the studio is the right choice.
If you want to know more about lifestyle photography, consider speaking with an experienced professional in your area. They will explain the process, provide estimates, and let you know if this style of photography is a good choice for your brand. Some products can really benefit from being displayed in real-life circumstances.