Are you looking for a guide to change the SSID of your Netgear extender? If the answer is yes, then we’ve prepared one for you. In this article, we will instruct you step-by-step on how to change the SSID of your Netgear wireless extender.
But, before we hop up to the steps to change the Netgear extender’s SSID, let us make you familiar with what does this term mean.
What is SSID?
SSID stands for Service Set Identifier. It is a unique name provided to the Netgear range extender that helps the user identify it from the rest of the WiFi networks. It is also known as the network name of the Netgear wireless extender.
By default, every Netgear extender comes with a default SSID. But, for the best user experience, it is always recommended to change the network name to a personalized one. The reason being, it helps the user to differentiate his WiFi network from the neighboring networks. Doing this is also important from the security point of view as breaking the encryption of the default SSID is easy.
Must Read Guide:
Now, let’s discuss the steps to change the SSID (network name) of the Netgear wireless extender.
Steps to Change Netgear Extender’s SSID
- Plug your Netgear WiFi range extender into an electrical outlet.
- Press the Power button.
- Let the power LED on your Netgear extender stabilize.
- Grab an Ethernet cable.
- Using it, connect your Netgear extender to the router.
- Switch on your computer.
- Open a web browser like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc.
- Go to the address bar.
- Type mywifiext into it.
- Press the Enter key.
- As soon as the Netgear extender login page appears, fill in the default login credentials into their required fields.
- Click Log In.
- The Netgear Genie dashboard will appear.
- Click the Settings menu and then the Wireless Settings option.
- Now, enter the new WiFi name for your extender in the Network Name (SSID).
- Click the Save button.
As soon as the changes come into effect, your WiFi-enabled devices will get disconnected from the extender’s network. So, reconnect them to the extender’s new Netgear_ext to regain access to a seamless internet connection.
Users can easily change the SSID of their Netgear extenders with the help of the aforementioned guide. But, some of them face issues while doing so. To make sure that you don’t sail on the same boat, you have to keep some points in your mind.
Points to Remember While Changing Extender’s SSID
- Consider plugging your Netgear range extender into a damage-free wall outlet so that it receives a fluctuation-free power supply.
- Make sure that the Ethernet connection between the extender and the router is strong and precise.
- Temporarily disable all the firewalls and antivirus software on your computer while changing the Netgear extender’s SSID.
- The web browser you are using to change SSID should be updated and free of cache, cookies, and browsing history.
- Always type the web address in the address bar of the web browser.
- The Netgear Genie login details are case-sensitive. So, be careful while entering them. Also, turn the Caps Lock key on your keyboard off to avoid any issues while changing the SSID of the Netgear WiFi extender.
- Avoid unplugging your extender while changing its network name.
In the Nutshell
Our detailed guide to change the SSID of the Netgear WiFi extender ends here. We hope that you will be able to change the Netgear extender’s network name with the help of the aforementioned steps. If this article helped you in doing so, then leave a word of appreciation in the comment section.